Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Elements of Journalism

In The Elements of Journalism, chapter 3 “Who Journalists Work For”, really spoke to me because of my growing discontent and cynicism for the modern business models of major newspapers that seem to focus increasingly more on profits rather than accurate and quality reporting. Even with the survey statistics showing that journalists’ loyalty is to their audience I’m inclined to believe these answers demonstrate characteristics of the Bradley effect, that is, they are going to answer what is expected of them but in practice they may act differently. I would love to believe them, but when even the chapter goes on to contradict itself with statistics showing that newspapers are becoming more biased and subjective, I have a hard time doing so. It’s hard to imagine journalism going back to the old ways because of this deeply embedded business model. More and more, conglomerates that are driven by blinding greed are absorbing news agencies.

4 comments:

Rachel D said...

While I see what you're saying, I can't help but think this opinion is driven a little too much by cynicism. All is not lost! There are those out there who will write for the right reason and the the right people. Never say never :)

I Am Not Here said...

I found this section quite compelling as well.

Unknown said...

personally, i'm with you on the cynicism, man. it's a rough gig.

sweetadeline089 said...

I totally agree with you; I think there should be a lot of cynicism about the origin of where we get our news. The fact that only a handful of people control all of the news outlets in the world is incredibly alarming.